Graduate Study Scholarships
The Washington Library Association awards one or more Maryan E. Reynolds Scholarships annually, to WLA members who are enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLIS degree program and have completed at least one semester or quarter. The scholarships are up to $6,000 per recipient. Applicants are evaluated based on demonstrated potential for leadership in the profession and commitment to libraries and library service.
These criteria will be used by the Scholarship Committee to evaluate your application:
- Current membership in the Washington Library Association.
- Washington State residency.
- Satisfactory completion of at least one semester or quarter in an ALA-accredited program leading to the Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
- Demonstration of potential for leadership in the profession and commitment to libraries and library service.
- Current or previous involvement with WLA, or plan to be active in WLA during the academic year in which the scholarship is awarded (e.g., serve as intern to Alki editorial committee, contributor to Alki, student liaison to WLA Board, active in WLA interest group, involvement with WLA or WALE conference programs).
- Late June 2015 – Announcement posted
- August 15, 2015 – Deadline for applications
- Late August/Mid-September – Top candidates interviewed
- Mid/Late September 2015 - Scholarship awarded
- April 2016 - Scholarship recipients introduced at 2016 WLA Conference
How to Apply:
Complete the 2015-2016 MLIS Scholarship Application and attach to it:
- Your current resume.
- Copy of an official transcript from the MLIS program you are attending, showing work completed during your last semester or quarter.
- Three recommendations, with at least one from a professor or adviser in your MLIS program. Please be sure to use the recommendation form.
Washington Library Association, Attn: MLIS Scholarship, 2150 N 107th St, #205, Seattle, WA 98133.
Faxes will not be accepted.
The application and ALL materials must be postmarked by August 15, 2015. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for consideration.