Membership | Meetings & Events | Meeting Minutes | Resources
Visionary Service Award | Communications | Bylaws | Contact Us
Meetings & Events
CAYAS Winter Workshop: Spanish Language Boot Camp for Youth Services Library Professionals
January 9, 2017, 10am - 3pm
Kick off the year at this fun, interactive workshop designed to give you the confidence and vocabulary to talk to Spanish speaking patrons about why libraries matter to youth. This workshop was developed by a librarian for those working in libraries who have little to no Spanish language skills. You will learn mini-conversations you can use as a starting point for outreach to patrons who may not be aware of the full scope of services your library offers. You will leave with a set resources to help remember what you learned, and tools you can use to continue learning Spanish on your own. Presented by Kathy Smargiassi, Children’s Librarian and Translator for Sno-Isle Libraries.
As a result of this event, participants will understand and/or be able to:
- Communicate with Spanish speaking patrons about why libraries matter for kids and teens
- Make Spanish speaking patrons feel more welcome in the library
- Engage patrons in simple conversations in Spanish
- Use youth services-oriented library vocabulary
- Have a set of tools to support continued learning
- Develop language skills and a community of fellow learners!
Location: Bothell Police Station Community Room | 18410 101st Ave NE | Bothell, WA 98011
CAYAS Books and Brews
Wednesday, November 2, 2016, 5 to 6:30pm
Big Time Brewery - 4133 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Join CAYAS in our first quarterly Books and Brews Event. This is a great opportunity to meet new people in the field, share resources, and sip on adult beverages all at the same time! This meeting's theme is "Mirrors and Windows" where you bring one book that is a window for you or the children and teens you serve and one book that is a mirror, to share and discuss.
The CAYAS Section hosts a breakfast at the WLA annual conference with a keynote from a children's or teen author. Past authors include:
- 2016: Kelly Milner Halls
- 2015: Justina Chen
- 2014: Marissa Meyer
- 2013: George Shannon
- 2012: Brent Hartinger
- 2011: Chris Crutcher
- 2010: Ellen Witlinger
- 2009: Karen Cushman
- 2008: Rick Riordan
2015 CAYAS Fall Workshop
Nov. 20, 2015, 10am to 4pm
- App Advisory and Selection: Learn best practices and tips for selecting iPad apps for use in children’s areas and story time, and to suggest to parents who are looking for iPad apps for their children. Presenters: Erica Delavan of The Seattle Public Library, Michelle Angell and Genevieve Dettmer of Pierce County Libraries.
- Digital Programming Panel: Learn about various STEAM programs including: Girls Who Code, Gamester Mechanic, Scratch, Lego Mindstorm, Ozbots, MakeyMakey, and Robots. Presenters: Catherine Schaeffer of King County Library System, Kit Ward-Crixell of Port Townsend Public Library and Kathy Smargiassi and Marta Murvosh of Sno-Isle Libraries.
- Lunch will be on your own. Feel free to bring yours and eat in the room, or enjoy one of the many restaurants in the Lynnwood area. A list of nearby eateries will be provided.
- Teen and Tween Booktalks: learn about the latest and greatest from Jerene and Angie!
- Building Connections to your Community: Miera Jough of the Seattle Public Library will help you effectively open doors and maintain relationships with immigrant and refugee families and caregivers of the children and teens in your communities.
2015 CAYAS Spring Workshop:
Serving Youth At-Risk in Libraries
Seattle Public Library, Central Branch
May 28, 2015, 9:30am - 2pm
This two part workshop will include an empathy training designed and presented by youth from the Mockingbird Society entitled Youth Homelessness 101. The second part will contain a panel of professionals who work with youth at-risk so that library staff members can build connections with these organizations and work on ways to better serve youth at-risk in libraries.